frontpage hit counter

Latest polls show increase in Britons favouring Brexit

0

The Survation poll for the centre-right Mail on Sunday newspaper showed 53% of Britons are in favour of a Brexit, while 47 percent chose to stay in the European Union. When the Conservative party came to power post the May 2015 general election, David Cameron reiterated his Party‚Äôs commitment to hold an “in-out” referendum on UK membership of the European Union by the end of 2017.

Ahead of the referendum this poll shows the strengthening of the “out” campaign. The out vote got a six percent lead at the polls, marking a sharp turn from the results held in May last year. A survey by the same pollsters held in May 2014 had showed 54% of Britons in favour of remaining in the EU and 46% favouring an exit.

The results rendered quite a blow to PM David Cameron, who has been campaigning in favour of an “in” vote. He has been trying hard to convince the voters that he will succeed in getting Brussles to agree to the reforms he has been demanding. The Pound has been lower against nearly all Major currencies so far this year and the FTSE 100 is down almost 5%.

GBPUSD has dropped by almost 500 pips so far in 2016, representing a decline of just over 3%.

Share.

About Author